Wednesday, November 26, 2014

30 Totes and Bags to Sew - a fantastic new craft book by my sister-in-law

Know someone who likes sewing? I've just found their perfect Christmas present!

My sister in law, the very talented Angharad Handmade has written her first sewing book, 30 Totes and Bags to Sew! This is the UK title, the US title is 'Tote-ally Amazing' and if you are into crafting or sewing in any way you must check it out immediately!


I'm not the most skilled at sewing myself.. (as my previous shoddy attempts will testify) but I know lots of people who and I know this will interest some of you.

This book would be the perfect Christmas present for the seamstress in your life: I've flicked through a copy and I'd be hard pressed to find a craft book more functional, colourful and fun. The instructions are detailed enough for even a needle-phobe (like me) to follow, with colour photos of every step, fold out patterns and extra info on sewing techniques, materials and tools.

I'll stop rambling and hand you over to Helen to share more details herself...

"The book focuses on the Tote bag, that's to say a bag with two handles, and I really wanted to include as broad a range of designs as possible, so inside you'll find projects ranging from a teddy bed tote for young children, to an oilcloth car caddy, to a velveteen evening bag. There are also lots of techniques covered such as reverse appliqué, kanzashi flowers, embroidery and freezer-paper stencilling. I'm so pleased with the final appearance of the book; the team at Quintet and my editor Julie Brooke have done an amazing job with beautiful photography and layouts - it has a spiral binding with hardback cover which has to be my favourite thing as a consumer of craft books as it means you can have the book open flat in front of you whilst working through a pattern. There are also plentiful colour photographs to illustrate the steps, as well as full-size pattern pieces in an envelope at the front of the book."

A few of the bags from the book. The possibilities are endless. 30 bag designs.. infinite fabric choices.... it will keep you busy for many years!

Here's a YouTube thumb through so you can get an idea how well written and snazzily designed this book is!


30 Totes & Bags to Sew: Quick & Easy Bags for all Occasions 
£14.99 by Helen Angharad Henley 
A book of 30 bag designs ranging from the fun to the functional. The book has a hardback spiral binding for ease of use, allowing it to be opened out flat as you work. Full-sized pattern pieces are included in an envelope at the front of the book.
144 pages with colour step-by-step photography.  
Published in 2014 by Search Press Ltd. 
ISBN 978-1-78221-096-2


Enjoy :D

1 comment:

  1. sounds great. i just started to sew and i can't wait to make simple bags like these. i'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!