Saturday, November 9, 2013

For my own reference - I asked my facebook friends for easy quick recipes they use all the time and here is the result:



So bored with the food I'm making recently - we need to cut out food spend down as much as possible for the winter so I'm putting these here to remind me when I get bored of what we eat.

I am meal planning main meals for the week - I managed to do this week only needing to get a few ingredients, (including flour for making own bread) and for lunches we can have home made soup, sandwiches and pasta.

Here are the new ideas:
  1. Chicken a la king - chicken with garlicy white sauce and peas
  2. Chickpea ketchup curry
  3. Kedgeree - smoked mackerel (no separate cooking) rice, boiled eggs, curry paste and lots of coriander and dollop of creme fraiche at the end
  4. Some kind of delicious scrambled eggs: scramble the eggs and 75% fry them then put them in a bowl. fry quartered tomatoes then when they're nice and soft, bung the eggs back in squirt on some ketchup and stir. put the lid on and take off the heat and leave to stand for a couple of minutes. serve with rice. a side of bacon is nice. 2-3 eggs and 3-4 tomatoes per person.
  5. Cullen skink is good requires one piece of smoked haddock (good when on reduced at supermarket) onions and potatoes. 
  6. One pan, fry chopped bacon and onion, add potatoes and carrots and sweat, then throw in red lentils, a bit of veg stock and chopped tomatoes and simmer for a while.
  7. Fajitas: fry chicken + fajita seasoning, also sliced peppers, onions, and other veg if you want (like courgette or mushroom - all works), then eat with tortillas and sour-cream, guacamole, mayo, or grated cheese (ideally all of the above).
  8. Mince in gravy all in Yorkshire puddings (literal genius idea here!)
  9. Quick prawn korma
  10. Panhaggerty - bacon, potatoes, onions, carrots all fried in a pan
  11. Soup and cheese scones 
  12. Root veg casserole with chive dumplings 
  13. Chicken basque 
  14. Fishcakes - I have a tin of tuna in the cupboard so must do this 
  15. A page of nice christmassy recipes including salads 

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm loving the sound of lots of these - one-pot things are gooood! We always try to meal plan - so much cheaper and you waste less too I find.
    We made a nigella recipe this week that was so tasty - fry pancetta (we used bacon cos it's cheaper!) until crispy, add frozen peas and cook until they lose their frozen look. Add in a cup of orzo pasta (the stuff that looks like rice but isn't) and 2 cupfuls of water and cook for 7 minutes until it goes all starchy and risotto like. SO good and dead easy! It's one I can cook with a grumpy toddler hanging off my leg! I had the leftovers for lunch too - a spoonful of water and a quick zap in the microwave was all it needed.
    I shall be referring back to your list tomorrow evening when I'm trying to write the meal plan and shopping list for the week! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love orzo, will definitely try this the next time I'm in Waitrose - thanks!!

      Delete
  2. I would totally eat (and have eaten most of) these. Can I also suggest what is referred to in my family as 'cupboard soup' - Half a packet of pulses(the bag at the back of the cupboard. some rice will do if you lack pulses), whatever random veg you have in the fridge/freezer cubed, a pinch of chilli flakes, pepper, stock and a few bits of diced meat if you have it. fry everything off, chuck in stock, simmer for half an hour. Serve with cheese on toast. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!