Sunday, August 25, 2013

Thank you for all your comments on my last disjointed post. That post was a good example of what happens to my brain when I get a rare couple of hours to myself to tap into my keyboard.. I really appreciate if you left me a comment. I am trying to take it all in.

I have been so busy, blah blah, no time for blogging etc. My job ends at the end of October so I've been working all the hours I am offered, including a few 35 hour weeks. This leaves little time for blogging or sitting still or cleaning the bathroom or seeing friends or not feeling guilty about the amount of childcare I need to ask for.... I don't know what I am going to do this winter. I've been looking for another job but there isn't much out there. Maybe I will hunker down, work on the house while not spending money, do as much freelance work as I can and just wait for the next season of castle.

Here are a few things I've been doing since I last blogged that are worth sharing pictures of:


Visiting the UK's largest Medieval 'Doom' painting (from 1340) in a tiny rural church in Oxfordshire.


Making all my own bread.



Designing the order of service leaflet for my friend's wedding (sorry, I had to smudge out the text and you can see the smudges, ignore that part!)


Starting to re-learn how to make rugs using a peg loom like me and my sister used to make. I'm making them entirely from recycled bedsheets, tablecloths, wool and fabric scraps I pick up in charity shops. These were my first attempts and there is lots of room for improvement. It's so nice to have something practical to do in the evening when Moss has gone to bed. Now I'm making a full size one for a special present. It's taking ages, but is very satisfying. I'll post a picture when it's done. I already have two more requests from friends and family!


Painting cheap shelves with paint I found in the shed. Still have yet to put them up..


I've recently played for a wedding ceilidh and at the Brecon Fringe festival after not playing properly for ages. It was fantastic.


Exploring our area as our first late summer in our new house unfolds. The lost medieval village of Lancaut is moments from our house - we walked around for hours.



The ruined church of St James


The view from Wintour's Leap.


I went on a bunting making workshop for my friend's hen party. I had never used a sewing machine before but I had a fantastic time and really enjoyed it. We were asked to choose fabric that revealed our personalities and I managed to make bunting that looked like a pin striped dandy - I guess that is just my style!

Exploring the 'beach' at Taurus Crafts.

It was also my birthday. I am 28. I don't know how to feel about that. I still feel 15, does this ever change?

From the garden this summer we've had endless cherries and strawberries, a few raspberries and lots of potatoes. My tomatoes should be a great success, providing they turn red! I also have two pumpkins growing. My french beach plant produced one tiny bean and then died (I have no idea why!) and my broad beans got eaten but I feel like I've learned something and I have lots of things to try for next year..

Over the winter I'll be planting garlic and starting a composter to make compost for the raised beds for next year. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday. I think life balance is rather more important than blogging, and you seem to have it. I was unemployed for 3 months last autumn, and did exactly as you have considered. I worked on the house, I saved money, and I watched a few boxed sets and read a lot. If you can manage financially, it's not so bad. You just have to keep yourself busy.

    I do hope you find something else, but I expect you'll make the most of the time if you don't. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't stop. I really think I'm still 18/19, even GCSEs really don't seem long ago. I went on the zipwire in the park today and am considering learning to do a cartwheel. You can cartwheel already, so you're okay. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!