Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Polka V

I was driving home from a gig last Friday at midnight, shattered and freezing cold, trying not to knock my bruised and calloused fingertips on the steering wheel when a band came on Radio 3 that sorted me right out.


Frigg are a Finnish folk string band with a brilliant, lively sound, fusing traditional Scandinavian music with bluegrass and Irish trad.

My own amateur thrashings I'd given my fiddle in the previous hours were quickly put to shame by their masterful playing. Scandinavian traditional music is similar to Irish in many ways, but with more complex syncopation and rhythms.

I've been listening to the only album of theirs on Spotify, Oasis, but I can't wait to hear their newest album Polka V. They are very inspiring to me!

I sat in the car when I arrived outside my front door to listen to the end of the session, despite the burning of my eyes. You can find the Radio 3 session here if you fancy it.




3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much! They are SO good. Just the right thing for my sunny but cold day off of housework and tea drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! They are perfect for cold, sunny days, that Finnish weather shines through haha!

      Delete
  2. they def have an interesting sound! thanks for the intro :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!