Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A strange feeling of satisfaction

I'm in a strange delirious phase at the moment in which I love everything and everyone, probably because I have read hardly any news or current affairs over the last two weeks - I had got used to the low level anger and desperation that consuming daily news leaves you with so it's nice to be rid of it for a while.

Of course I'm also very happy about the fact that we have finally bought a house and moved in, after a year of searching, saving and disappointments.

I feel like we have struck gold moving where we have - our (OUR!) house is impossibly cosy and our new town is perfect. Despite little sleep (probably another reason for my delirium) from the antics of a slightly ill toddler and an attempt at stopping co-sleeping, it's a joy to wake up recently. Our bedroom window looks out upon a wide estuary, you can't see the water but you can see England on the other side and the sun rises over a flat misty expanse, glowing through the very early mornings my son now subjects me to.
A bowl of Amaretti biscuits my mum brought down
I have only ever lived in huge cities/their suburbs or the middle of nowhere. A small distinct town is a new phenomenon for me and I absolutely love the atmosphere here. Within five minutes we can amble to the local library where Moss got his library card (with elephants on), join the fruit and vegetable co-op where you order a bag of food for £2.50 a week, go to our first ever toddler group, go to the bookshop, get coffee beans in the deli, have a cake in the coffee shop, walk round an enormous castle, visit a tiny museum and lovely gift shop, get meat from the butcher, fresh bread from the bread stand, go to the market on Saturdays..... a few more minutes away from our town are ancient abbeys, a really lovely craft centre, ancient forests to explore.A little further still are all the things I enjoyed living near in Cardiff, with Bristol just a few miles in the other direction.

Lovely new book (left) goes with another book I had already (right)
It's the perfect place to do all the things I've wanted to do for ages, shop locally for food, support small businesses and make a home in a small, friendly community. I'm so determined to live in a more eco-friendly way, and to live in a town set up to make that a reality is very motivating. I'm going to write about it to motivate me more. There are so many more things I could do in addition to washable nappies and recycling..

Strangely, the thing I am loving most at the moment is the fact that I am being made redundant at the end of my work contract in a few weeks time. I have learned a valuable lesson over the last few years that when things like this happen, it's usually for some good reason. I have been unemployed, homeless and friendless before but something always turned up at the very moment I lost hope. I will still work. I won't have that security of a set wage coming in each month, but I will have the new challenge of balancing more freelance work and hopefully putting more time to expanding the band I'm in as well, something I've been hoping to do for several years now. Maybe I could even use my qualifications and do some therapy when my son goes to school.

Feel free to batter me over the head with these words when I'm working in Poundland in a few months time.

New bedroom with my Gumtree bedside table and throw my mum brought back from India (now I must only have white sheets)
My dad's wife gave me her unwanted vintage  Le Cruset pan set. Excuse me while I scream in gratitude!
I've been meaning to read this again for ages before seeing the film. Now I have a 40 minute train commute to work there is time to finish my beautiful pocket edition (from my local bookshop) and disappear into the comforting world of bacon and eggs, seed cakes, pipes, dragons, misty mountains, deep dark forests,  elves and straw beds.


5 comments:

  1. The town sounds perfect! In a life before babies I was a child therapist if you ever have any questions, although I think the training has changed a bit since I qualified. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds great! Where did you work? I have to do a final part of a diploma in psychotherapy, once I pass that bit I can practice as a therapist! It's just getting the confidence and practice to do it.... It's been a dream of mine for a while

      Delete
  2. Your new house looks lovely. And I have mega jealousy issues about your le creuset set... A le creuset pan automatically makes everything cooked in it taste delicious. It's a Known Fact. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow they make me feel like I'm cooking over a camp fire... that probably makes no sense!

      Delete
  3. Very slowly catching up on all my blog feeds... I just wanted to note: there's such a thing as an unwanted Le Creuset SET?!

    Look forward to reading the next few posts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!