Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My 'to read' list

I mentioned I wanted to read more in 2013 so here's a picture of all the books on my current 'to read' list, including two that I've half finished and two that I've just started.... it actually seems quite a modest amount of books when I look at it.


Palace Walk - Naguib Mahfouz: A Christmas present from Huw, a book by an Egyptian writer that I can't wait to read.

Samuel Peyps, The Unequalled Self - Claire Tomalin: I'm nearly at the end of this book after mightily enjoying it, despite the fact that I've been reading it since our holiday in August, hardly impressive.

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel: I've started this, I'm reading it mainly because I feel like everyone on the planet has read it apart from me, and I really like Hilary Mantel, despite not having actually read any of her books.

Blake - Peter Ackroyd - Again, I'm half way through this so I've got to finish it. I am particularly enjoying this book, I've been fascinated with Blake and his paintings after seeing one in Petworth House.

Arabian Nights and Days - Naguib Mahfouz: Another Christmas present I've already started

The Idiot - Dostoevsky: Since visiting Russia I pledged to myself that I'd read some Dostoevsky. I battled through Crime and Punishment in 2011 whilst waiting for my son to arrive and it seriously was one of the most exciting and best books I've ever read. I want to read more Dostoevsky so I've had these two books on my shelves for several years, the spines uncracked..

The Brothers Karamazov - Dosteovsky: Some might think it's very ambitious to want to read two Dostoevsky's in a year whilst looking after a toddler but what can I say... I quite often have unreasonable expectations of myself!

What's on your list? I'm always after more book recommendations.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!