Friday, November 30, 2012

The illustrations of N Puttapipat

I first 'met' N Puttapipat on Livejournal (LJ - clearly the source of so much wonder for me!) and immediately became a huge fan of their timeless, whimsical, intensely detailed and absolutely astonishing art. The best way I can describe my love for their work is by stating that, if I could create an illustrator from scratch to my precise specifications, drawing exactly what I love to look at in the styles I adore - I would end up with N - nothing altered.


N Puttapipat is a sophisticated and peerless illustrator with an impressive back catalogue of work including illustrating books for the Folio Society, Salman Rushdie, Faber and Faber and Oxford University Press among many others. They are passionately fond of the ‘Golden Age’ illustrators, Oriental art, and silhouettes. They have illustrated several books for Walker Books and The Folio Society. Several of their illustrations for Folio’s 150th anniversary edition of the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám were exhibited at the British Library in late 2009/early 2010. They were also awarded the bronze prize in the Books category of the Association of Illustrators Images awards 2010. They are represented by Artworks.

Being a master of the silhouette and also possessing the rare and uncanny ability to tell a complete tale with a single image, it's the devilish attention to detail in N's illustrations that sets them apart. I regularly find myself marveling over the intricacies of a single drawing.

This post will feature silhouettes, these are all from Myths and Legends of Russia, collected by Aleksandr Afanas'ev, translated by Norbert Guterman and published by The Folio Society:

Baba Yaga

The Frog Princess

The Feather of Finist

Two Ivans Soldier's Sons

The Castle of the Fly
Here are some other artworks that particularly strike my fancy today:

The Dog in the Manger

Sneak peak of Aladdin
Self Portrait

A delightful sketch: Vincent 'Van go'
The Twelve Dancing Princesses - from The Red Fairy Book
Rosette Title Spread (Detail)
Quatrain XXXIIThere was a Door to which I found no Key:
There was a Veil past which I could not see:
Some little Talk awhile of ME and THEE
There seem'd - and then no more of THEE and ME. Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

Also see their incredible cut paper and sculpture work:

Kinaree popup card

Gillespie
You can see plenty more of N's work on DeviantArt. Check out the illustrations for The Red Fairy Book and the book jacket for Salman Rushdie's Luca in particular.

You can buy books, prints, mugs, magnets, and assorted ephemera on DeviantArt, or from the Folio Society, or from Red Bubble. I am buying several as Christmas presents, planning the prints I'm going to buy for our new house and also coveting Aladdin as a premature present for my son who is far too young to appreciate it but will, one day:

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for such a broad feature and for you very kind words, Eleanor. I'm very touched.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!