Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tamarind Date Cake


This is my favourite cake. I made it last night because we have some friends over today for lunch. It's so easy and spectacularly tasty, so you should make it! Don't be put off by the tamarind, it's not a strong flavour. If you don't do nuts I suppose you could leave out the walnuts but to me they are the best thing about this cake.

The recipe is from Dan Lepard's fabulous Guardian baking column.

Dan Lepard's Tamarind and Date Cake:

For the cake:
200g chopped dates
50g tamarind paste
250g unsalted butter
150g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
275g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 
175g shelled walnuts, roughly chopped

For the icing:
150g icing sugar
The seeds from 6-8 cardamom pods,
finely ground Juice of ½ lemon
(I didn't actually use this icing recipe, I just sprinkled icing sugar and stuck walnuts and silver sugar balls on top with a bit of lemony icing)

Line the base and sides of a deep, 18cm cake tin with nonstick baking paper, and heat the oven to 180C (160C fan-assisted)/350F/gas mark 4.

Put the dates, tamarind paste and 300ml water in a pan and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute, remove from the heat, add the butter, and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Add the brown sugar, stir, then beat in the eggs until smooth.


Beat in the flour and bicarb, then stir in the walnuts. Spoon the cake mix into the tin and bake for about an hour, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool. When cold, make a thick, smooth icing with the icing sugar, cardamom, juice and a little water, if needed, and spoon over the cake so it dribbles down the sides.

A perfect November cake

2 comments:

  1. I love both tamarind and dates. I'm putting this on my festive foods list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about dates are just so festive! I'm definitely going to make another one for Christmas

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!