Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Venturing North


We are going up to North Wales on holiday soon and I'm so looking forward to it, despite ominous reports of incoming storms from some inconvenient jet stream. I will just take my wellies and ignore the rain. Words cannot describe how much I am craving a change of scene.

I have been roaming the mountains of Snowdonia on Google street view in anticipation and looking at the pictures of the huge mansion we're staying in. It has a library, roll top baths, seven bedrooms and this is the view from the veranda, from which even storms will be beautiful:


The house was once rented by Percy Bysshe Shelley, his tenancy culminating in a mysterious nighttime 'shooting incident' and flight to Ireland that inspired Mary Shelley's Frankenstein!

My holiday reading is going to be this amazing tome, which I've already started:


I had absolutely no interest in or knowledge of the 17th Century diarist Samuel Pepys until I followed his diaries on Twitter where his exploits were delivered to me in real time by some brilliant person.

He turned out to be this philandering, petulant businessman with a penchant for chasing women, drinking and naval accounting and I immediately wanted to find out all about him. The book has had a good beginning with men with no ears, carnivals, executions and kidney stones all featuring prominently so far.

I would now like to receive all my important yet difficult literature through the medium of Twitter, perhaps Dante's Divine Comedy (I could never get past book one) or Homer's Iliad could now be provided to me in 140 character installments requiring only a second's attention span at a time? Get on it someone.

2 comments:

  1. That view is amazing. Have a great time! Tea when you're back?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks amazing. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!