Thursday, June 21, 2012

Superficiality

I went recently back to work after maternity leave, stared at all the groomed and perfect looking commuters on my train and felt my self confidence hit the floor with a dull thud.

In the last year I've gained and lost 3 stone during pregnancy, loads of my hair fell out then grew back in very dodgily, I haven't been able to afford to buy any decent clothes, particularly maternity clothes, none of my normal clothes fitted me for months after I gave birth (now they do, thankfully, I'm actually lighter than I was pre-pregnancy) and anyway, I couldn't even wear them because they weren't any good for breastfeeding, which I will probably be doing for another year or so.


So I made a drastic move and dyed all the grey out of my hair. I haven't dyed my hair since I was 14 and 'experimenting' with poorly applied henna so this was kind of a big deal for me. I dyed it dark brown and it looks fantastic even if I do say so myself.

On Mondays and Tuesdays I can now put on my old breastfeeding un-friendly tops and dresses that I haven't worn for over a year, step outside, get on the train and go and sit in my office all day feeling like an attractive, productive member of society. No more maternity pay, just my normal wages. Freelance work whenever I can get it and a deep, capitalist satisfaction in life...

3 comments:

  1. I think you look lovely with or without glasses : )

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your message on my blog! That really interesting actualy, I'll have a play around and see if it makes a difference! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Glad you found it useful, I wasn't trying to preach or lecture! Just discovered it recently and wouldn't have known not to otherwise so thought I'd share! thanks! x

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!