Monday, June 25, 2012

Miniature Paintings by my dad

I recently found a folder of my dad's old paintings that I liberated from my parents house just after they split up. My dad asked if I had them recently and so I scanned them in and he was delighted to see them again.

They are beautiful, delicate miniatures and are now between 40 and 50 years old:

Lilac
Iris

Small lilies
Lilies

Ship at sea

Here they are with my hand for size comparison:


There were also some illuminated manuscript work and a coat of arms, also miniatures:




This small painting of crows on a tree at night (really badly scanned, sorry) is one he did in his teens. It's mounted on a piece of card covered with hessian and is so battered and old. I remember it being around since I was tiny.

6 comments:

  1. These are really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such painstaking work on such a small scale! I really like the illuminated initial. Lovely things to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so lovely - was going to get them all framed up for his birthday in October .. can't decide on individual frames or just one big one with lots of little spaces

      Delete
  3. Super cool. : )

    chris (crystilogic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - *gasp*, I am a big fan of your tumblr

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!