Friday, January 13, 2012

My favourite fiddlers

Since I became interested in playing traditional Irish fiddle music I have found several fiddlers who really speak to me and who I have struggled to emulate with varying degrees of success.


Here is Cathal Hayden with Arty McGlynn blowing the mind of a microwave in someone's kitchen in the early 90s. Absolutely deadly and brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.


Martin Hayes - a County Clare fiddler who I aspire to be, right down to the hair. I have learned so many of his tunes by ear, I have him to thank for my new ability to learn tunes without the sheet music. "In its purest form, Irish traditional music speaks a universal language."


A young Ciaran Tourish - when I heard this video I spent many days learning these tunes - I just love how he pulls this off, I would be pretty nervous having to play in front of all those severe elderly Irish music aficionados wearing suits. This video never fails to cheer me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!